Do not use pliers or vise grips on the polished shaft. The use of pliers can cause scoring the highly polished chrome shaft. This will cause increased wear on the upper seals and in turn cause a hydraulic fluid leak from the shock or strut.
Do use a wrench (special tools are also available) to hold the shaft. There is a shouldered area near the top of the shaft, below the thread area, that is designed for use with a wrench.
More Technical Tips
- Over-tightening the upper strut shaft mounting nut causes damage.
- Does any fluid need to be put into the strut housing when replacing a cartridge-style strut?
- The replacement shock/strut has a shorter upper mounting stud.
- Hydraulic Fluid Leak: Causes.
- The supplied small parts kit has too many or not all of the parts needed.