In some instances a competitor’s part number is longer than required by the vehicle manufacturer and in other cases the KYB product includes a performance improvement. Some KYB shocks include an improved internal bumper stop to cushion extreme movements. This may change the total length before installation; however, the function will be correct when installed on the vehicle.
Some of the reasons include:
- Protect potential damage from full extension of the unit
- Reduce vehicle roll-over effects
On some applications it is necessary to raise the axle or suspension slightly to attach the shock mountings which is also common on many OE components.
More Technical Tips
- Not enough stud threads visible to install or tighten the upper mounting nut.
- The new shock or strut appears shorter than the unit removed from the vehicle.
- The original mounting stud nut does not thread correctly or damages the new KYB shock/strut upper mounting stud threads.
- Does any fluid need to be put into the strut housing when replacing a cartridge-style strut?
- The supplied small parts kit has too many or not all of the parts needed.