The main reason that shocks or struts leak is that the upper seals wear or become damaged causing hydraulic fluid to leak out of the top. Actually, vehicle use rarely causes leaks. There are several things that can cause seal wear; including:
- Dirt and debris getting inside of the shock/strut:This often happens when the strut boot is torn or not sealed properly
- A damaged strut shaft: If there is any damage, pitting or scoring on the polished shaft it will cause premature or rapid wear on the upper seals. It is critical not to use pliers on the polished shaft during installation as this can damage the shaft.
More Technical Tips
- Not enough stud threads visible to install or tighten the upper mounting nut.
- Noises After Shock/Strut Replacement: Causes.
- The replacement shock/strut has a shorter upper mounting stud.
- Hydraulic Fluid Leak: Causes.
- 95-99 Nissan Maxima Rear Strut Fails Prematurely.